Thursday, November 01, 2018

Turning Toward Each Other by Turning to the Savior (week 7)

Here is a sad truth about me. I am no dream to live with. I may seem sweet as can be and you will probably never hear me yell but I have a stubborn streak that is just as forceful as any screaming match. One might say I'm passive aggressive. And, how can I admit this graciously, I tend to be a bit...moody. My poor husband usually doesn't know what he is walking into when he comes home. Bless his heart. I love to be right, which I usually am! I know you are now feeling sorry for my dear hubby. I'm right there with you. So are my parents! HA! Ya, I was not an easy teenager to raise. The good news in all of this self deprecation is that I can learn and I can change. Most of what I have learned about relationships wasn't from books but was taught to me by the example of a patient and loving companion.
My husband is a natural at this marriage thing. He easily turns toward me all the time. He lives to please me. Anything I ask of I'm he will do and do it happily. When he does something that hurts my feelings or is thoughtless and I confront him on it he is always very apologetic and does whatever he can to make it right. He has never read any book on marriage, communication or conflict resolution. I don't think he has ever read a self help book. 
So what is it that makes him an expert at solving relationship problems? Issues and problems that experts with Phd's have written countless books about. I believe it is because he is one of the most Christlike people I know. Developing Christlike attributes will help us in all our relationships but they are especially helpful in marriage. These attributes such as: long suffering, which helps us be patient with our spouses imperfections and not criticizing them. Also being kind and not easily provoked. That one is a no brainer. Being slow to anger and being kind to our spouse solves the majority of relationship issues, I think. How about the attributes of thinking no evil and rejoicing not in iniquity but in truth. Being honest, moral, without judgment and respectful has helped me to always trust my husband and to be confident in his moral character. 
I have learned much from books and classes on marriage and relationships. I enjoy reading them and applying the principles. The absolute best self help books I have read are the words of the prophets and the scriptures. By reading The New Testament and The Book of Mormon I have come to know the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. The more I align my life with His, the better eternal companion, mother, sister, daughter and friend I have become. I may not be a natural like my hubby but I am getting there.

No comments: